Friday, February 13, 2009

Hooligans and such

My kids have been saying some funny things to me lately. For instance, Bryson has been particularly honest in his prayers lately (as noted from the previous post). He has so far prayed that they would not be "hooligans" the following day, that mom would decide to take them to rent a movie because "she loves us as much as Jesus does", and that Garrett will stop pinching him under the table while he's praying. All of these are said, in complete seriousness, during the blessing of food at dinnertime, although on different days. It's becoming quite entertaining, although we are planning on having a little FHE moment on the proper way to pray--apparently this lesson is coming a tad bit late.

Megan finally seems to be catching up on talking a bit. Up until now she was more apt to point and grunt in order to get something. This ALWAYS works with her older siblings, but not so with the mama and dad which is very frustrating for her cuz we have no idea what she wants, and very frustrating for us because she resorts to having a hissy fit. If you aren't sure what a hissy fit is, just imagine this: your child looks like she has become completely possessed by some alien pod creature as she throws herself to the ground, kicking and screaming, all the while rolling around on the floor and her face going bright red. You look around for your just recently adorable child and wonder who zapped this obvious imposter onto your livingroom floor. THIS is a hissy fit.

I believe that is the medical term. You can look it up.

Regardless, she has decided to step it up with the talking. Her favorite saying today has been "There it is" which actually sounds more like "Der'd is!" She says this anytime she picks up anything; books, dolls, pillows, paper, whatever. Or, she covers her eyes and peeks out and says "Der'd is!" meaning herself I guess. She's a crack up. Or maybe I'm the only one who thinks she's funny. Nah, she's so durn cute, I know I'm not biased.

We took the kids to dinner the other day at Dennys, for a kid-friendly meal that would not result in other people looking at me like I was INSANE for bringing my four children to a restaurant. Cuz it is...but they gotta learn somewhere and Dennys is a tad more kidproof than say, Olive Garden, or a local steak place or something. So the waitress takes our orders and says she'll be back in a minute. Garrett says, "In a minute? Like, approximately how long will that take?"

Approximately?

My 3 year old is a genius just like the rest of my kids. It's awesome and I take full credit. It's no reciting of the 12 apostles like my cousin's daughter (see Wally & Lindsey's blog over there on the side to view it in "real life"), but it's pretty stinking genius in its own right.

Then I have Abby, who says that all the girls at her new school like her and all the boys want to kiss her. She is a tad bit too willing for this, so we've had to have some chats about no kissing until she's older. To which she replied, "I KNOW mom. No kissing until I'm at least six." I'm in sooooo much trouble when she's a teenager.

But that's not for a good eight years so we'll just pretend it's not going to happen at all. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm putting in my order for my children to not be teenagers for a good 15 years so I can fully prepare myself. Or hide.

Alright. It's late, I'm tired. You're tired. You yahoos should really be going to bed. Hmmmm, this isn't working. Is it just me or does the ending of a post always feel like...weird? Ok, I'm just going to end it.

'Nuff said (for now, cuz we all know I can keep this going all night).

The end and so on.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Nice! I didn't know you had a bunch of hooligans in your family.What great prayers your kids say I don't know if I would be able to not laugh :)

Emily said...

In our family, we have APPROXIMATELY 4 hooligans, including my oldest...who is 31 years old. heh heh

You are so stinkin' funny. I always look forward to your posts. Yay Jen! (cheerleader kick!)

Penny :) said...

I tell my boys they can't kiss or have a girlfriend until after there missions. They both laugh and say we are kissing girls in High School. I'm in trouble to is there a special school we can send them to when there done being teenagers. I love your blog you make me laugh. :)

9 of Us said...

Did you know that a hooligan is a small fish they catch up here for bait? The Asian people like to eat it though.