Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The NERVE

It's been one of those days. You know the kind I'm talking about. The type where you hang around in your pj's all day cuz you just don't feel like doing anything. Walking aimlessly from room to room, knowing you need to get in gear and clean up this hazard-waste place you call home, but not quite finding the motivation to do it. Having Garrett hanging on me being whiny, and having a very needy Megan because she has an ear infection. Not the fabulous beginnings for a weekday. And then I realize that Megan is COVERED in hives. Great. I call the doctor, explaining she has broken out in hives and I thinks it an allergic reaction to the amoxicillan she's on (same thing happened to me a couple of years ago). They say to bring her in right away...in three hours. And oh, don't give her anything cuz the doctor will want to see exactly what's happening. Nice.

So we eat and take an exhausted Meg in to the doctor. The pediatrician checks her out, saying things like "hmmm...yeah...looks like an allergy..." Ya think? Then he looks in her ears and tells me she doesn't have an ear infection and that the four days of antibiotics have done the trick. I explain, calmly, rationally, that she's only been on them for two days, and should we put her on something else to make sure it doesn't come back. He looks at me and says her infection is gone and her ears are just red so no need, and if they start bothering her I can come back in a few days and have them looked at again. Again, I calmly ask, "If I notice her ears bugging her again, can I just call in and have the new prescription called into Walgreens? We've already been here twice in three days." Mr. Macho Doctor then looks at me and says, "Well, I DO have a medical degree."

At this point all rational thought has left my mind. I'm tired, my kid's sick, and I'm just asking for pete's sake. The NERVE. I give him my "Feel free to take the fastest train straight to hell and while you're on it tell Satan I'd like him to kick your butt up around your freaking medical degree" look and start getting Megan dressed again. I'm so furious that I'm just shaking (and if you know me, you know that normally what comes next are tears but you'll be proud to note that I held back) and so thoroughly livid I just want to scream. Then, he pats me on the shoulder and says "Have a good afternoon" and walks out. What??!@#?@#$?

Needless to say, the only thing that saved this pediatrician's life was that his incredibly sweet nurse came in and said she was faxing my chart to our regular doctor who moved to their clinic in Roy and that I can just call in for a prescription if I need. But seriously, how dare he try to patronize me? Obviously this post is to blow of some steam...but come on. I'm a MOM. I don't need no stinkin' medical degree.

2 comments:

Holly said...

I can't stand when "medical professionals" think you don't know what your talking about or that your concerns are not valid!!! What a jerk! I hope you don't go back to that guy!!! I'm sorry you had such a rough day but great job on holding it together, I'm sure I would have lost it and broke down into tears, something I would have not wanted to do while I was still there!! Dang that doctor with a dippy "medical degree", he makes me mad and I don't even know him!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope Megan is feeling better and that you're having a better day too! :)

That girl said...

I am a nurse, I feel your pain. This is my life. Screw him. You're a better mom than he is.