Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Summer Confusion

The weather lately has been difficult for my children. I LOVE the rain. I could live in Seattle (oooo, or FORKS...hello Edward...) cuz rain is fun for me. However, with the first two weeks of summer vacation for my kids being doused in rain, times have not been perfectly enjoyable over here, because they have been trapped inside our house for the most part. This week however, it has been beautiful!! The sun is shining, we started swimming lessons, played at the park, had picnics, ride bikes, all things summer.

So this afternoon as I'm listening to my children run all over the house, screeching like banshees, I tell them to go play outside (where their screeching doesn't make me want to eat a whole bottle of ibuprofen and wash it down with a bottle of something stronger than Pepsi). Do my children dash outside to play in the sun ready to jump and frolic? No. I have a mutiny. They don't want to go outside, they don't want to play.

Whatever, I think and I send them outside. Surely they will get out there and start messing around and have some fun so I can make dinner.

They sit on the stairs, with their arms folded, bottom lips sticking out, anger lurking in their eyes. What?!? So I give them a choice. They can play outside, in the sunshine, ride their bikes, play in the yard, whatever! OR, they can come in and clean their rooms.

The results:
Their rooms have never looked so clean.

4 comments:

{Alynn} said...

What?!? I think their sweet little bodies may have been taken over by aliens.

Penny :) said...

Clean rooms instead of playing outside crazy!!

That girl said...

I am sure that I NEVER made that choice as a child. What did you give them for breakfast? How is the Central Air working out? I hope you are still loving it. Kelly keeps ours at a "comfortable" 78 degrees. I think he is trying to force me into labor!

Emily said...

Did my kids call your kids this morning? Surely you'd think that my kids could entertain themselves whilst I fold my laundry....nope. Ahhh the joys of mothering little chldrn.