Monday, May 18, 2009

Ode to Central Air

I don't think I'm living in the correct region for my temperature needs. I LOVE autumn. In fact, in my perfect world, it is autumn for about six months of the year. I LOVE spring (unless it's snowing, cuz that really isn't spring, that's just annoying winter trying to nose its way back). I LOVE snow for about a six weeks from Thanksgiving to New Years. And I love summer...wait a second. I don't really love summer. I love the things you can do in the summer, such as watching the kids swim, camping, county fairs, rodeos, vacation from school, eat scrumptious food like corn on the cob, melons of all sorts, apples, BBQ, etc. The hot temperatures of Utah in July and August? Can everybody say three digits? Not really a fan, no. Why do I live in Utah? Ohh yeah, that crazy little thing called family. Actually, I love Utah, I just find its weather a little too extreme for me. (although it does give me something to whine about on a fairly regular basis, so there is that)

But guess what.

This year, we will experience, for the first time in our married lives, right in our very own home, and it works and everything cuz I've been using it today until I have frozen everybody else, ahhh...central air.

What a miraculous thing! I get cold air...in my house! Not just my refrigerator! Yes, yes, it could cost me a pretty penny if I get a little overzealous with it which will prolly happen cuz I love being cold when it's hot outside. Kind of like winter, when I love being warm in my bed while the air around me is cold. I'm a girl of contradictions. Strange, but true. And I am obviously going on way too many tangents today which is so not like my regular self *cough cough*.

Ahem. Moving on, er, well, back.

I can sit on my couch in the livingroom and not make a puddle wherever my body is touching said couch. I realize that sounds incredibly gross, but if you have swamp coolers then you know exactly what I'm talking about. It's not gross, it's life. And life, my friends, tends to be gross. (Another pillow ready to be stitched with that little gem of truth..I'm taking orders...only $19.95 plus shipping and handling by cool air conditioned hands.)

Needless to say, I love our central air. I believe I may be bragging about it throughout the summer unless it breaks. And then I'll cry and whine about that. Either way, more posts. :)

4 comments:

Lois Lane said...

Lucky you. I'll be moving in with you. Please e-mail driving directions.

Mills Family said...

I am on summer number 2 of central air and I am still loving it! The best parts are that I can leave and come home and it is still cool and doesn't smell like that musty swamp cooler. My potato chips stay crisp. My doors don't swell up and refuse to shut! Oh, the list I could make. (However, do brace yourself for the bill for July and August. Big, very big, but so worth it!)

laura_beez said...

You know, a true "ode" is a lyric poem, often meditative in nature, with an elevated style and formal structure. In ancient Greece, odes were often accompanied by a dance and performed at a public festival--now that's what I'd like to see! Your "Ode to Central Air" morphed into poetry, set to music, and recited by you, the author, as you dance about with the stiff, chilling breeze from the AC gently ruffling the ribbons on your costume. County fair, here we come!

Kelly said...

Do you really go to rodeos?