Friday, November 14, 2008

Van-flippin-tastic

You will never guess what happened to me. Not in a million years. Why? Because normally this sort of thing only happens to people in the movies, cheesey movies, but guess what--I was the lucky winner today. I went to pick up the kids from school after their half-day Friday. There's a long line, which I normally try to avoid by going early but I was late so you know, had to wait and everything. I pull up in front of the school, the kids see me, and run over to the van.

They pile in.

David, who we carpool with, can't get the door closed. I tell him to go ahead and sit down and get his seatbelt on, I'll close it. I take off my seatbelt. I reach behind the passenger seat...ok well I'm too short-armed for that, so I half get out of the driver seat and reach behind the passenger seat to pull the sliding door closed. It's kind of stuck. I get all the way out of my seat and pull a little harder when I hear a snap and then...

The door falls off.

Yup, go ahead and read that last line again because I have almost the entire elementary school as witnesses. The sliding door of my van FALLS OFF. The back bearing popped out, and my door is hanging there, barely, by the little bearing/hinge thing at the top of the door. I'm so stunned I start to laugh. What the He...er, eck? Only to me people. This stuff only happens to me.

I'll keep you posted, and hopefully, take a picture because in this case it really is worth 1000 words.

10 comments:

Walnut said...

holy cow that would be so funny to see that happen to someone. don't worry, we've had several car doors randomly fall off.

Mills Family said...

So funny! I was complaining this week that our automatic door won't work. I told Jeff I have a twilight zone issue going on with the van. The abs light pops on and a few seconds later it blows a fuse. There goes my speedometer and several other things. Including my sliding door. I won't complain anymore. At least my door is still attached. Don't you just had cars????

Holly said...

That is pretty "van-flippin-tastic"!!! ha ha ha! I seriously would have loved to see that, so sorry that it happened to you, but I'm pretty sure I would have laughed my face off if I saw that in real life! Classic Jen, classic!!!

Crystal Taylor said...

Wow, that would be a sight to see!!! Yes, I think you are right, that would only happen to you!:) Good luck, I hope you get it fixed soon. See ya this weekend for scrapbook night.

laura_beez said...

Alynn and I are laughing our heads off! Did you drive home with the door just dangling there? Ha! Alynn intends to use this as a cautionary tale for her kids regarding her van so they'll quit slamming the door. (I myself am still vanless.) And thanks for the birthday card, I loved getting some real live actual handwritten mail! You're the best.

JACKIE FLAHERTY said...

It sounds like you have my kind of luck! Too funny. Good luck with door.

justalittleluv said...

When you can't cry laugh! Definitly!!! I hope you get it fixed. Good luck. Elisa

That girl said...

Jen, I just stumbled across a blog that had me all confused. I thought it was you with some secret blog. the address is http://j3nnywr3ns.blogspot.com/
this person has three boys too, but she says mum, so that was my first clue. Kinda weird. thats all.

That girl said...

Sorry, I'm retarded, you only have two boys. Oh, well I've only met you once, cut me some slack!

Penny :) said...

Jen, that is so funny. Stuff like that happens to me as well. I was on the freeway with the boys and our van door flys open. Scared me to death. You should write a book about van mishaps. :)