Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Cub Scouts (aka I have NO idea what I'm doing)


WOW.


I've been called as the Wolf den leader for Cub Scouts. I am excited to learn more about the scouting program, but honestly, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. Bryson has been in Scouts for almost a year, but with moving and this new ward not keeping on top of weekly activities and badges (and us as parents not keeping up on it either), I still feel like I have no clue as to what it all entails. However, they have put in all new leaders and a new cubmaster who is very gung-ho and excited to be involved and get the boys on their way, so I think it's going to be great. Needless to say, I will be learning alot and plan on picking everybody's brain who has had anything to do with it (i.e. my dad, my brother, Mary Ann--you're still a den leader, right?, and anybody else who can help me out). Feel free to give me lots of advice and ideas. LOTS.

6 comments:

Emily said...

Good luck with this one Jen - I'm not sure about the whole "scout" thing either. We were Weblos leaders when we first moved in here....for about a month...so I'm not a big help in that area. You will be awesome though, and I'm sure Bryson will love to see you around more often. :)

Lois Lane said...

I did Scouts for awhile. It's not too bad. My advice to you is to start planning your Blue & Gold Banquet as soon as you know what the theme is! (It's an easy one for 2010--birthday party.)

{Alynn} said...

Never had the honor of this calling myself, but I'm sending you my pity and good wishes all the same! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I have been the Bear leader for 1 1/2 years. It has been interesting since I didn't have any kids in it. But now Skyler since he has turned 8 in August has been in it. I spent hours and hours reading anything and everything given to me. Good luck and have fun with it. They really are eager to learn and love doing projects. Keep things short and moving they don't have very good attention spans. Food always helps. :)

Three Plus One said...

It seems we can never end the similarities between us. I too am a Wolf leader. It is so fun. I have been told (and believe) that it is the best age to work with.
As well as focusing on the scout merits, you can work on the Faith In God stuff too. It tied in really well for me this month with it being Heroes month.
Let me know if you have any questions. I'm planning my next activities soon.

Penny :) said...

Congrats! I'm in scouts to the bear leader. Its quite an adjustment from young womens. I'm still learning the ropes as well. It is easier to plan ahead and try and act like you know what your doing. And I can't wait to wear my tan uniform tomorrow for pack meeting.