Wednesday, September 30, 2009

New York Palmyra Pictures

Entertaining ourselves in the backseat on our way to the Hill Cumorah pageant.
(McKenzie, Ben & me)

At Hill Cumorah. They have a huge stage (all the stone steps) that is set up on the hill and looks like it's been there forever even though they put it up and tear it down each summer. It was amazing the number of people who come--regardless of religion--and from how far. Before the pageant starts, all the actors and a zillion missionaries walk around handing out Books of Mormon and pass along cards and talking to the audience.



With it being so dark and my dinky little camera, it was difficult to get any good pictures of the actual Pageant. Besides the fact that my flash going off irritated all those around me. Oops!
But this is a scene of Lehi's dream with the Tree of Life. The special effects they use are amazing, there's water, fire, besides just lighting. And everytime Jesus was part of it, my cute little nephew Tyler would yell out "JESUS!" and "ooohhhh" and "ahhhh". Very entertaining.



Later that week we went back to Hill Cumorah and Palymra to check things out in the daylight.

Monument at Hill Cumorah

Palmyra Temple seen from Joseph Smith's farmhouse.


Palmyra Temple up close.


Pathway from Smith home to Sacred Grove.

Smith's farmhouse (where Joseph Smith grew up)


Probably my favorite picture of the entire trip (and I actually took it with my dinky point and shoot camera). I absolutely love the lighting and the trees.

The Sacred Grove

3 comments:

Three Plus One said...

The Sacred Grove Pic is amazing! Either your camera was just on the good side of a fritz, or it is meant to look so heavenly and sacred all the time. I will believe the latter.
Wow!

Lois Lane said...

I was beginning to think you were never going to blog again! So glad you're back! I love that Sacred Grove picture. That'd be a fun one to get blown up to frame and hang on your wall.

Heidi said...

I love the sacred grove pic also!